Friday, January 08, 2010

Ketoman

I've been on a severely calorie-restricted, low-carb diet since the 2nd of January, and I am losing flab at a rate of 500g a day. In five days, I have shed 2.5 Kg (5.5lb). I expect by the end of today to have pushed that up to 3Kg (6.6lb, or almost half a stone). Obviously, in addition to the low-calorie diet, I am also working hard at the gym every day to make sure that I continue to make demands from my muscles, thereby convincing my body to shed flab rather than to use up muscle mass.

Not surprisingly, I am delighted with the results so far. It's a very good start to the new year, to the regime by which I am determined to get in shape, and to my short-term goal of shedding 20Kg by the end of March. I know I'll lose more weight in the first week or two and after that the weight loss will slow down, but I can't help but be delighted with how things are going so far.

But there is a price, of course. I am forcing my body to use its overly generous supply of stored flab as a source of fuel. Consequently, I am in ketosis, and generating measurable amounts of ketones (I wee-weed on one of my Ketostix this morning and it turned quite a dark pink almost right away) as my liver breaks down my flab and converts it into fatty acids and ketone bodies. Unfortunately, the spare ketones don't all end up in the wee. Lots of them are turning into acetone and being exhaled.

My breath smells like I just ate a big shit.

The bizarre thing is that I can't smell it at all. If I try to catch a whiff of my own breath, it smells normal to me, presumably because the receptors that would detect the acetone have been saturated and are no longer sending any signals to my brain. So all the other receptors, which are detecting the normal stuff in my breath, and functioning fine and returning "normal breath smell" signals. But the reality is that I need to be very careful about talking closely or breathing closely to anyone.

Still, I'm on target to lose 3.5 Kg by the end of week one, which is more than half a stone. I might have pongy breath for a few weeks, but it will be more than worthwhile by the time all the flab has gone and my abs are looking marvellous.

1 comment:

Qenny said...

Come to think of it, the Atkin's Diet can probably be summarised thus:

Swap your Weetabix for Ketostix!