Thursday, February 21, 2008

Chilli Fecundity

Last summer we treated ourselves to a chilli pepper plant and a capsicum plant. The former yielded quite a few chillies, the latter only one or two capsicums (or peppers, or bell peppers, if you'd rather).

Around October, new fruit started to appear on the chilli plant. It took a while to develop, and quite a long time to go from green to red (via that odd blackish colour that they turn to make you think that they're about to rot and fall off). But now they're sitting on the vine, ready to be harvested. So the plant has kicked off another round, and we now have at least half a dozen new peppers starting to appear.

I've never known a plant to be so keen on producing fruit, and especially when it's a plant that is probably more used to warmer climes than those provided in England. In winter. Amazing.

2 comments:

Inexplicable DeVice said...

If Jurassic Park has taught us anything, it's: Nature always finds a way.

I just hope your chilli plant doesn't go on a ferocious rampage and eat any visitors that you may be entertaining.

Qenny said...

As long as it chooses visitors who aren't themselves entertaining, I'll be fine with that.

It's when I go out to the kitchen at it bellows "Feeeeeeed me, Seymour!"

I've given up trying to persuade it to get my name right.