Saturday, January 19, 2008

New job, new toy

Finally, as of Monday I'll be back in the workforce!

I'm quite pleased with the role that I've landed myself, and if the interview is anything to go by, it will be a great place to work. They were very friendly. We got allong very well. So it looks like I'll be spending a lot of my time between now and April working out how a whole load of people can migrate a whole load of local council processes out of their existing offices and into a new location in Essex. This might even involve trips to Essex, which will be very easy for me given that I live to close to the borders of that fair county.

Unusually, the company I'll be working for asked if I would be able to provide my own laptop. I've never owned one. I've almost always had one for the last 10 or 15 years, but every single one of those has been the property of whichever company I have been working for at the time. I have long been an advocate of desktop machines. I think many people buy laptops when a desktop machine would be just as useful to them, would cost a lot less, and would be more amenable to upgrading. However, I jumped at the idea of buying my own for use in the new role, because it helps to reduce my exposure to certain tax liabilities that I'd rather avoid. Using my own equipment goes a long way towards establishing that I am not, in fact, an employee of the company with which I have a contract.

Anyway, after ordering quite late on Thursday night, and then geeing them along yesterday and agreeing to fork out for additional shipping costs, my new tablet PC turned up today. So far, so good. It seems lovely. The tablet thing is great, and I think I'm going to get a lot out of that facility. It also has an entertaining alternative to putting in username and password information all over the place - I can just swipe my finger across a little sensor, and it checks against a record of my finger print. Marvellous.

4 comments:

Frobisher said...

Congrats on the new job.

I share your love of slow cookers (previous post), never had a bad meal of of it yet - try making rice pudding. Ratatouille is brilliant, and I even made mulled wine at Christmas in it.

I think the slow cooker deserves a blog of its own!

Nick said...

Yes congrats on the job! Will you be biking it out to Essex then, tablet PC strapped to the back? ;-)

Tickersoid said...

I like the security device.

Will your job involve downloading personal information into your lap top and leaving it in your car to be stolen?

Qenny said...

frob: I haven't tried mulling wine in the slow cooker, but that would work really well for a party. Except some of our parties mean the slow cooker is full of chilli.

nick: I did get on my bike (as it were) at the weekend. It's the first time I've been out on it since I passed my test, I think. And I'm getting back into it. It will take a while, but I will eventually feel confident riding around on it. I think my first big trip is likely to be from home to The Magic Circle and back some Monday night.

tick: it hadn't crossed my mind to have a whole load of personal infomation lost, but now you mention it ... although I'm sure I'd find some eastern european mafia type who'll pay good money for it.