Wednesday, May 02, 2007

End Credits

Late last night UK time, the brother of my Lovely Husband™ finally conceded defeat in his long and painful battle with cancer. We were amazed that he found the strength to keep going for as long as he did, and by all accounts remained cheerful, determined to make the most of what he knew would be his last few months, weeks, days, and hours.

Over the weekend, my Lovely Husband™ had to make a tough decision about whether to stay in the UK, or travel back to NZ so that he could be there, hopefully before Brad died, but if not, at least for the funeral. In the end, he decided not to go, for a variety of reasons. Instead, we will both head over there for a week or two at Christmas.

Brad leaves a potent legacy in his feature film, In My Father's Den. His diagnosis had arrived when he was editing and then publicising it. The film garnered much critical acclaim on the festival circuit, although I think the general release in the US and the UK was bungled, so it didn't get the mainstream attention that it deserves. I wish he had the opportunity to make more films. He was a great story teller - and if he had ever turned his attention to horror, I'm sure he could have equalled Hitchcock with his ability to terrify.

7 comments:

The Fifth Floor said...

I am sorry for you loss, and indeed, sorry for the world's loss. Thank you for sharing.

Tickersoid said...

I salute Brad.

Qenny said...

Thank you both. Now, go get your hands on In My Father's Den and enjoy!

Nick said...

I shall check out the film as well, it looks quite interesting. Hope you and Lovely Husband are both ok, thinking of you both. x

Da Nator said...

I'm so sorry, Qenny. Please give the Lovely Husband a hug for me.

And I certainly will check out the film.

jungle jane said...

Wow that's so sad. Condolences to you both.

The film looks great - i will hunt it down. Mirando Otto rocks...

Qenny said...

Thank you all. Miranda Otto's part in the movie is quite small, but she makes the most of it. The real star, in my opinion, is Emily Barclay.