Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Tip For Travellers: Ironing


I am currently spending much of my time away from home, living out of a suitcase. As ever, having a nice, crisply ironed shirt every day in such circumstances can be a challenge. The main problem is that I have a penchant for pure cotton shirts rather than their (to my mind) rather more tawdry relatives of the polycotton variety. Pure cotton shirts can be a bugger to iron. The really don't want to play ball unless they're damp. And most hotel irons don't have a little squirty watery thing built into them. In fact, the majority of them don't even have steam.

I have tried a number of standard approaches to this problem, but none of them has proved entirely satisfactory. Then last week I had an inspiration, followed by a bit of experimentation, and I think I've cracked it.


I take my shirt with me into the bathroom, put it to one side, and have my shower as normal. Once I've finished my shower, instead of drying myself straight away, I put the shirt on, making sure to press the front panels against my chest and abdomen. (Note: abdomen rather than abs, but I'm working on that.) I take the shirt off, get myself dry, then iron the shirt - which by this time is damp but not soaked.

It works a treat!

13 comments:

Brian Sibley said...

God, but you're a mine of useful information! Better than Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, you are

Qenny said...

Why thank you, although I would have thought that if anything appealled to your good self about this entry, it would have been the muscle mary in the wet shirt ;)

Al said...

Isn't that what a suit jacket is for - to hide the creases in your shirt?

Qenny said...

Not in this weather!

Reluctant Nomad said...

All of my shirts are cotton, barring a silk one here and there. So I find this a great tip, not just for when travelling. But as I never wake up in time for ironing and showering, I'll probably not be able to make use of it.

Da Nator said...

Or you could just work out in the shirt, and get it all hot and sweaty... ;o)

What about some of the new cotton fabricss with the wrinkle-resistant treatment mixed in? It fades after a lot of washings, but I've found it something of a godsend, as a person who can put wrinkles in clothes just by looking at them.

Brian Sibley said...

Yes, a muscle mary in a wet shirt, what can I say? Banged to rights!

So was that itty-bitty thumb picture YOU or just One of The Boys?

Qenny said...

nomad, if only I had your discipline, and got it all done the night before. Obviously, that's what you must do, isn't it? :)

da nator, I have to confess that I do have one or two of those, and they do make life a whole lot easier. However, the finish does feel a bit odd against my skin, and I prefer natural, untreated cotton. Would that I didn't!

brian, if only it were me! I trawled the net for pictures of wet shirts, and that was the best I could get. Most of them were very busty women with wet t-shirts (and often quite prominent nipples!)

Tickersoid said...

I don't suppose you could get away with hanging it next to the shower and letting the creases fall out with out having to iron could you?

Reluctant Nomad said...

Me and discipline in the same sentence? No, no, no, you have it all wrong! I simply recycle shirts that aren't so clean - if it was worn once last week and still looks sort-of ironed, I wear it again. Call me a slob, I won't mind.

Da Nator said...

Well, I like the feeling of busty women's nipples against my skin...

Qenny said...

tickers: I've tried that method, and concluded that it's a bit of a female moth (a myth, in other words).

nomad: fair enough. Henceforth, if I use your good name and the word discipline in the same sentence, I promise that the context will be very different indeed ;)

da nator: get a room! :)

Tickersoid said...

I'm a bit of a stickler for ironing a shirt 'correctly'.

I'm always at a loss when ironging those shirts or blouses that are supposed to be creased.
I either iron them all out or end up with a patchy crease coverage.