Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Books I Haven't Written

Over the years, there are many books that I haven't written, whilst I can count the number that I have written on the fingers of no hands. I have an unfortunate propensity for coming up with titles that amuse me, that quickly spin themselves into a story, and then as soon as I sit down to think it through a bit more, they start to fall apart, and it becomes apparent that the joke isn't sustainable beyond the mildly amusing title.

Here's an example: "One Too Many Relationships" - a racy tale of a philandering database administrator. Bit of a geek joke. If you don't get it - and I don't expect many of you to do so - consider yourself lucky.

There is one that I keen coming back to, though, and it isn't based on a bad pun. I'd love to write it, but I might end up just outlining the concept on here one day in the hope that someone else can run with it. I really like the idea, and if I were to write the novel, I would probably get ex-communicated, which would be a lovely thing to happen. That way, no-one could refer to me as a lapsed Catholic. I've never liked that expression. It gives the impression that I merely forgot to renew my subscription, rather than that I took something which was really deep-rooted in me, ripped it out and threw it away. But before I do any of that, I have been seriously jotting down notes for a possible technical manual, and putting together sample puzzles for a possible children's puzzle book.

I think something that my Lovely Husband™ said last night got me thinking of these things. I can't remember how, but the phrase "Do or die" came up in conversation, and we decided it would make a great name for a hair salon. (Obviously, the "die" part would have to change its spelling.)


This is all a bit random and unconnected. But then, so am I at the moment. I just wanted to blog something. They do say blog often, blog early. They didn't say anything about quality.

6 comments:

The Fifth Floor said...

The subtitle could be "Flat Or Relational" - there could be lots of monogramy going on, then the stress of adultery. Either sex, see. It works- LOL. See, somebody got it!

The Fifth Floor said...

Christ on a bucket, I meant MONOGAMY! Stupid thing!

Al said...

There's a salon called "Curl up and Dye" in Falkirk (and, I'm sure, in many other classy towns in the UK and even the world!).

As for the philandering DBA, I could provide you with many an anecdote for your book, since I sit next to the least monogamous DBA you could ever find.

Tickersoid said...

Quality has never bothered me when I blog....

Oh you've noticed.

Qenny said...

Monogramy - that's when you only have one name tattooed on your furry cup.

I've seen a few Curl Up & Dye places. And laughed my socks off. The first time anyway.

Tickers, we all appreciate your quantity!

Brian Sibley said...

And there is, indeed, a 'Do or Dye Barber Shop' at...

2730 E Burnside St
Portland, OREGON 97214

"Call Now for Beautiful Hair: (503) 235-6242

From a trim to an entire hair make over, no job is to big or small for Cissy, owner and operator of 'Do or Dye Barber Shop'. Offering a full range of styling options, you will be satisfied with your new look."

For some other fun salon names check out my blog...