Sunday, March 04, 2007

Blackpool Or Bust

Actually, this doesn't have to be an either/or choice, since in Blackpool, it is easier than it is in most towns to pick up a fake bust. Or an inflatable lady. Or man. Or any of a number of other tasteful products. Even off season. As it was last weekend.

Yes indeed. Last weekend, I went along to Blackpool for their annual magic convention. I'd never been before, but had heard of it from many people. It's the biggest (I believe) annual magic convention in the world. There were dealers, performers, lecturers, competitors and magicians from all over the place.

My first impression on walking in to the venue was similar to how I felt the first time I attended a Gay Pride event. I found myself thinking, "Oh my god - I didn't realise there were so many of us!"

Magicians as far as the eye could see. Some of them doing the kind of things that are common to magicians and muggles alike: getting pissed, stuffing a sausage roll into a mouth, attempting the surreptitious removal of an ill-adjusted boxer short from an arse-crack. Others were doing overtly magical things - levitating bank notes, cutting cards in manner bewhildering, producing foreign currency from the orifices of passing youths.

I caught up with friends old and new, and discovered new connections that had been staring me in the face all along - such as a fellow Magic Circle member who, it turns out, is the son of a guy I know from the magic club I belong to in Auckland. I also got to see some of the worlds best magicians, not necessary well-known names in the muggle community, but names that are known to most magicians, and spoken with reverence and respect.

One of my oddest experiences of the weekend was holding onto a chiffon that was perched on a table as the table itself floated off the ground. That was odd. But what was really odd is that the guy making the table float let go so that it was just me holding this chiffon, and I know I wasn't doing anything to make it happen.

Amongst the many performances I saw, I have a hard time choosing between the close-up magic of Greg Wilson and that of David Roth. For entertainment value, probably Greg. For sheer magical wonder, David. Getting to see both in the same weekend - priceless.

There was rather a lot of alcohol consumed over the weekend, and so I ended up crawling off early on the Sunday rather than stay for the full day. Next year, though, I'll be back, and I'll be sure to take the Friday and the Monday off work, and make the most of it.

4 comments:

Nick said...

So re: the floating table trick, is your first thought "How did he do it?" or "Wow that's SO cool!"

Da Nator said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! :o)

Qenny said...

I was so in awe that it didn't cross my mind at the time that he had let go. It was completely "Wow, that's so cool!"

Paul said...

That sounds great!! Can non-magicky peeps attend? Or can i get smuggled in? ;o)