Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Punditry

I was pleased and a little flattered recently when two of the people that I'm working for, on separate occasions, quoted back a saying of mine. They didn't attribute it to me, but it was apparent that they had taken it on board and agreed with it so completely that it had become part of their outlook on work in general.

It's a bit sad and geeky, but in the context of business and the technology used to support it, the saying is this:
There is no such thing as an IT project. There are only business projects that use IT to achieve a business outcome.

Not the snappiest aphorism on the block, I know, but for anyone working in my industry, or indeed any industry that uses IT, it is worth bearing in mind.

Over the last couple of years, I have made a transition from being very technical (I was once a developer, and later a solutions architect) to being more business-focussed. These days, I tend to do a lot of business analysis and process analysis. It's interesting, because it's where the IT is used by real people who do the actual work that makes money for the business. It's also where the assumptions that IT made suddenly appear and cause everything to turn to ... well, to something less optimal than was original anticipated, let's say.

When I originally made the transition from tech to business, I was afraid that I had done myself a disservice, because it's technical roles - architects, data modellers, etc. - that can still command very grand day rates. However, I think businesses are beginning to get wise to the fact that IT departments are far too powerful, and have far too much sway in many companies. As companies begin to refocus on what the business needs rather than on what IT wants to deliver, there will be more work for business analysts and process engineers. And as that demand increases, the rates for seasoned experts in those fields will get better.

It's the next big wave, and I'm gonna catch it!

On a completely unrelated note, Lovely Husband™ has made a career change. He started last Monday at a meedjah company, and has been doing very well indeed. They currently have him for a month for free. If all goes well, he'll be employed by them at the end of the month. Things are looking very good on that front, since by all accounts he is impressing people left, right and centre. I'm very proud of him!

4 comments:

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Snaps to your Lovely Husband™!

Do you know, every time I do that little ™-thing I think of Shifty.

Qenny said...

You know, I was thinking only the other day about how Shifty had enlightened us all on the non-alphanumeric character front.

Tickersoid said...

OK it took me two readings to figure out what you were saying.
Actually it's a subject about which, which I'm passionate.
I believe that even low admin' based businesses such as mine, need pertinant IT systems to be competative.
Ours isn't, we're all doomed.

Da Nator said...

Congrats to LH™! I hope everything continues to go swimmingly for him.

I'm not sure I entirely understood what you were saying in this post. (It's a serious problem I'm finding as I'm in the job search project - my mind is a bit too artistically inclined and tends to shut down when confronted with too much business speak.) Anyway, although I've frequently seen the opposite - It departments beleagured with business admins who don't understand what is technically possible - I would surmise that both of these issues will wane as a younger business workforce develops. It seems to me that one reason business needs are deferred to what IT wants to do is because the business admins are too unfamiliar with IT concepts, having grown up before computers became so prevalent.

Does that make any sense, or am I totally off here?