Thursday, January 04, 2007

Reading Frenzy

I've been away for a bit. We went up to Scotland for Christmas. We were going to stay for New Year, but for a host of reasons decided to cut our trip short. And just as well. It seems that Hogmanay this year was a bit of a wash-out, with gale-force winds and torrential rain putting the kibosh on most if not all of the planned outdoor events. Fireworks that will never see the light of day. I'm sure the environment is heaving a sigh of relief.

Amongst my surprisingly impressive haul of presents this year, my Lovely Husband™ bought me Derren Brown's book Tricks Of The Mind, and Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion. I'm currently about halfway through the latter, having devoured the former within a couple of days of receiving it. They're both terrific, and there is a bit of common ground between them.

Derren Brown's writing always delights me. I have his two previous books, both of which were written for the magic fraternity rather than the general public. That said, he would have known that some of what he wrote would have incensed the magic community, because many of them have a very low tolerance of "blue language", thinking that it demeans our art to be caught using such stuff. I wondered whether, given the target audience of his latest work, he would tone it down. Delightfully, he doesn't. And he indulges in some word play that had me writhing in delight. At one point he referred to old-fashioned behaviour as Victorian principles, and then threw in a parenthetical question: You remember her from Dallas, don't you?

This is a bit of a boring post. I just wanted to get something written because it's been too long. I have a couple of rants brewing, and I'll let them off in due course, but for now, I'm just glad to have put virtual pen to non-existent paper for the first time in a fortnight or thereabouts.

Thank you particularly to those of you who commented favourably on the comparison between myself and Eric Cantona in my last post, and I'm very glad that none of you pointed out that I used quite an old photo of that spectator head-kicking soccer star turned actor and aesthete. I'm also thrilled - as I'm sure many of you are, too - to see Fuckkit back amongst us, illuminating with her characteristic insight the precise source of the similarity between myself and the aforementioned man who likes to play with balls.

3 comments:

Da Nator said...

The Baby Jeebus does not approve of your reading selections. You are to go to Lourdes directly to bow before the Miracle. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars. Or Euros, even.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Let's just thank all that's good that we can't actually see Fuckkit - although I think I can see her enormous arse rising over the horizon...

OK, I'm a little bit thrilled. Don't tell her, though.

First Nations said...

1. do you feel the least little bit the victim of unwanted fondling for having been put on by the fake british guy?
2. fukkit is back! fukkit is back!
3. now i have two more books to read? but i've been on a non-fiction jag recently; geeze q.