Thursday, November 16, 2006

Y Viva Espana!


My Lovely Husband™ and I haven't had a proper holiday for years. In fact, last time was way back in 2002, when we spent 10 days in Australia which, in true Cath & Kim style, we divided between Surfers Paradise and Noosa. So, we're both very happy that on Saturday, we're heading off to Gatwick and thence to Gran Canaria.

I've been to Tenerife a couple of times, and would happily go again. Lovely Husband™ was initially in favour of that, mostly because it rates a mention from time to time on Coronation Street, of which he is a big fan. However, he later changed his tune and decided that Gran Canaria would be a better bet, so we're all booked up. We've done the "allocation on arrival" thing, so we don't know where we'll end up. I've done that before, and it has always worked out really well, probably because I'm just naturally lucky. And telling myself and others that I'm naturally lucky seems to help ensure that it remains the case. As a backup, however, we have also taken advantage of our Handy Useful Network of Gays (HUNG - dontcha luvvit?). We have a friend who works for the company we're travelling with, and he's put a note on our account to increase the chances that we'll be allocated to one of the more gay-friendly parts of the island.

Cheap holidays don't seem to me to be as cheap as they were before I went to live in NZ (towards the tail end of 2000), even allowing for inflation. The travel companies seem to have become much more cunning about how the things are priced. You have to pay extra for transfers to and from your destination airport, for inflight meals, for various other things that were previously all part of the package (hence the term "package holiday"). They want to see a certificate to prove that you have your own insurance if you say "no" to their travel insurance. It seems to be no longer the happy go lucky system described thus by Peter Kay: "Got it off Teletext. Saw it, booked it, fucked off."

In other news, I am working on a new magic effect that is really rather gross. Not one that I would show to everyone, but one that I'm sure anyone who reads this blog would find amusing. It involves worms and crabs, and I call it Infestation. Make of that what you will.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

record it and post it, forthwith my magical fiend! Er, friend...

Qenny said...

Oh, it's not yet ready for prime time. I might try it out at a charity gig I have coming up shortly after my holiday.

Qenny said...

But in the meantime, I am quite pleased with the cards that I created for it, so I've updated this entry with a couple of piccies.

frobisher said...

will you be wrapping a towel round your head in the dunes of maspalomas pretending you are Laurence of Arabia? (I do)