Tuesday, May 02, 2006

No Oil Painting

For me, news of the outbreak of the first Gulf War came 2/3 of the way through a 3-hour sitting for a portrait. A very dear friend of mine, A, was sketching me, and had been at it for 2 hours. Another hour later, she was finished with the sketch. It was an excellent likeness, and looked I really miserable. If I had been younger, I'm sure I would have looked like the miserable Edwardian boy that hung over my paternal grandmother's fireplace. Her other painting was of wild horses charging into a moonlit sea.


Over the next few weeks, A worked on covering the sketch with oils, and by the time she had finished, the image had somehow gone from looking really sad to looking a bit demonic. But it remained very clearly a portrayal of yours truly.

This weekend, myself and my Lovely Husband™ went to visit A&G (G being A's husband). We've been meaning to visit for some time, and even more so recently because A is with child, and they have done me the honour of asking if I'll be one of the godless parents. On a recent visit to her parental home, A had picked up the oil painting from all those years ago (13 - 15, I reckon) and brought it back to her own place so that it could one day end up in my hands. And now it has. I'm delighted. If anyone ever says that I'm no oil painting, I can now prove them wrong in the most direct and conclusive manner imaginable.

We had a terrific weekend with A&G. Got there a bit late on Saturday, but not too late to catch a few rays. Wonderful dinner, followed by a few rounds of poker. Sunday we went for a big walk, then Lovely Husband™ made dinner whilst I had a little snooze. Bit of Cranium after dinner (myself and A vs Lovely Husband™ and G), and then half a game of Progressive Whist. All very relaxing and civilised.

We left reasonably early on Monday, and on our way back, it dawned on me that we could take a detour to Alton Towers. So we did, and had a fantastic time. Lovely Husband™ has a problem with heights, but bless his big, brave, butch heart, he went on loads of rides, including Oblivion and Air. All in all, a corker.

14 comments:

shiftclick said...

Wow. What a cool thing to have. Is it really you? We need a comparison shot!

Qenny said...

It is indeed really me, and I agree - a fabulously cool thing to have. Just need to work out where we're going to hang it. Lovely Husband™ is a bit worried because it reminds him of his ex.

If you want to compare against the real McCoy, there's a link to my main website in the sidebar, and I've just uploaded a large quantity of photos from the weekend. Bear in mind, however, that the painting is more than a decade old, and I've "filled out" a bit since then. (That's what people say when then mean "got fat" but want to seem nice.)

Kyahgirl said...

that's a great painting. it does look a bit demonic but not nasty. I think its the shadows on the forehead.
I'm off the check your photo (nerdy scientist types always have to do these things-bear with me)

Qenny said...

Hi kyahgirl, and welcome. yeah, definitely the shadows, not the model :)

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Is that really you? If so, did you ever work for NU?

Oh. Hang on. My mistake (unless you got rid of that third horn on your forehead...)

Qenny said...

As chance would have it, I'm (sort of) working for NU at the moment. My third horn wasn't ever on my forehead, though.

Jay said...

Definitely a little demonic, but in a good (!) way. I'm sure you make for an amazingly... striking magician.

On a bad day, I'm not even a crayon scrawl.

Qenny said...

I do my best, jay. And I saw that photo on your web site, so I know you're much more than a crayon scrawl.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Oh.. Of course.

* averts gaze in embarassment *

Inexplicable DeVice said...

I think I spelled embarrassed wrong...

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Or, embarrassment, even!

Qenny said...

Don't worry, sweetie, it's the fault of those awful people at blogger who don't put a spell check on the comments field. Shame on them!

DogGirl said...

Do Owen Wilson knows you have his nose?

Qenny said...

He said I could borrow it, but I forgot to give it back.