Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Honorary Lesbian

A long, long time ago, I can still remember, how I used to struggle to get my copy in on time for deadlines at The Gay Gazette and Pink Paper. I had a column in the former about the internet, and sometimes wrote music reviews for the latter.

Now, many, many years later, I've been asked to reprise my role somewhat by providing an internet column for a lesbian magazine. I was recommended by an old chum who works in that world as someone who really has a handle on all this new fangled technology stuff. Fair enough, but I may have to get my feelers out to add a suitably sapphic flavour to my wibblings.

I don't want to jinx it by revealing the name of the magazine, since this month is a trial run to see how it goes. If it flies and becomes a regular thing, I might drop a little mention of it in here. Eventually. Meanwhile, I'll just revel in the joy of being a lesbian journalist.

10 comments:

The Blind Flaneur said...

Good luck with it. You might find it useful to ponder the words of Eddie Izzard, who pithily describes himself as a lesbian stuck inside a man's body

Qenny said...

Thanks for that, and welcome. Don't think I've seen you here before.

Da Nator said...

Ooh - good luck! I'm a bit jealous. As a lesbian who shoulders an internet addiction, I'd say I'd be happy to review your columns for tone, but, then again, having formed something of an exclusive community of two with Mrs. Nator, I'm not sure I know what all those other lesbians are about, nowadays.

The Lady Muck said...

Does this mean you have to sup on some lady bits? I'm only happy to oblige haha jokes. That's cool. Well done you, and good luck :)

Fuckkit said...

Welcome to DykeLand. Takes weeks to get the smell of fish out of your hair.

Qenny said...

da nator: I'm sure you won't be jealous when I'm writing heart-rending stories about working into the small hours to get my copy in on time!

lady m: I'd love to oblige, but I foreswore to give them up after the first couple of months of my life.

fuckkit: Thank you. I've visted before, having a sister who lives here, so I know the drill. Haven't visited often enough to become good at pool, but you never know.

Tickersoid said...

You're not going to have to have your 'bits' hacked off are you?

Still sometimes one has to suffer for ones art.

Crikey you've banged in a lot of posts recently.

Qenny said...

tickersoid: They didn't mention emasculation as a sine qua non for accepting my work. I'm hoping that's because it isn't rather than because they didn't want to put me off.

I have blogged a fair bit of late, although looking back, not that much of it is especially interesting, I reckon. And I churned out another one as you were writing this. I read a guide to blogging a while back that included in its list of "dos" an injunction to "blog early, blog often", i.e. write as soon as you can after the event, and do that a lot.

Saddle Up said...

How many years ago did you work for the Pink?
I used to work there in the days of Jason Dyer and Mike Ross :)

Qenny said...

I wrote for the Pink during Tim Teeman's tenure as deputy editor, although I wrote more for the Gay Gazette. I didn't work for either paper, I just did a little bit of freelancing.