Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Weight Gain 101

I've been adjusting over the last few years to being described as broad-shouldered. I've always been tall, but when I was growing up, I was a bit of a beanpole, or as one of my uncles described me, a big drink of water. (Big girls blouse might have been more accurate.)

Skinny as a rake, I enjoyed a metabolic rate so high that I was on the verge of gaining superhero powers. In 30 minutes I could put away 6 jumbo sausage rolls, a couple of tins of beans, and several slices of bread each bearing a centimetre-thick layer of butter. And I never gained an ounce.

For years, I stayed at 7 stone (or 44.5 kg if you'd rather). Then some time in my teens I went up to 9 stone (57 kg) and stayed there for a long, long time.

Then something happened. The pilot light on my crazy metabolism went out or some such. But it wasn't too bad. I went up to 14 stone (90 kg) - and by this time, I had started thinking in kg because it's a lot easier to work with. So, I have been 90 kg for a while. Except now I'm 101. Almost 16 stone. I'm not happy.

Admittedly, because of my height, and because somewhere along the line I stopped being tall and skinny and started being tall and broad, I don't look especially fat. But this last jump in weight has been on the back of an extended period involving little exercise and lots of huge hotel breakfasts. It's got to change. I've got to get back on the treadmill. Literally.

4 comments:

frobisher said...

My amphetamine diet never fails. Swear by it. Its a shame about the mood swings and violent outburst - but hey, no pain no gain.

frobisher said...

Then again you can just give up and become a bear . . .

Qenny said...

Some of my friends are bears. No, really. But it isn't a look that does anything for me sexually; and since it doesn't do it for me, it isn't a look I'd fancy achieving. Yup, I'm so shallow I have to find myself vaguely attractive before I'm prepared to believe that anyone else will.

Besides, despite being rather hirsute in the leg and arm department, my torso is almost entirely hair-free, so I don't think I could qualify for bearness, unles it was a genetically modified variety.

Thanks for dropping in, by the way. I'm a relatively new kid on the blog, as 'twere, and am being made to feel welcome by the blogging community, which is ever so nice.

Qenny said...

I've just noticed what a bizarre mix-mash of measurements I use. 1cm thick layer of butter on the bread, and I didn't gain an ounce. Hmm. Think I need to standardise. Maybe I'll make up my own system that's a mixture of imperial, metric, and anything else I can find. It can be the esperanto of weights and measurements.