Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Poppadom Preach

I was in trouble deep when I finally got around to thinking about food yesterday evening.

It had been a long day. I got up at 05:40 because I wanted to get to Norwich before 09:00, and had to pack my case, making sure I took all the bits and pieces I need to continue rehearsing for my Magic Circle exam.

In the course of the afternoon, I took a bit of a break during a slack period where I wasn't very busy, but came back into the office shortly after 17:00, and worked through until 21:30 or thereabouts.

Upon my return, after pottering around the room for a while, I grabbed the room service menu and tried to order something proper, only to discover, to my horror, that it was after 22:30, the chefs had left the building, and I would have to order from the 24-hour menu instead.

I plumped for the Lamb Jalfrezi. What a terrible mistake. The sauce was bland, indifferent but mostly inoffensive. The meat though. Yuck! So yuck, it crossed my mind to write "yuck" on a bit of paper and leave it on my tray when I popped the sad, yucky remains outside my door for collection by the yuck-collectors.

Lamb? Chopped up bits of shoe leather more like. Really, I couldn't have choked it down if I tried, and believe me, that's quite something given some of the things I've choked down over the years.

Still, I suppose it meant fewer calories. Although 10 minutes in the gym would have been better.

17 comments:

frobisher said...

It sounds like heaven compared to what I just had. Aduki bean burgers.

Damn Gillian McKeith. Still, she says it's good for cleaning the bowl.

Qenny said...

Bowl or bowel? Depending on how strong a scatter effect the beans engender, cleaning the bowl might be quite a chore after that one.

Fuckkit said...

Remember, Dominos pizza is your friend :)

Qenny said...

Thanks, fuckkit, I'll remember that for next time. Either that or to the healthy option of having one of their "24 hour sandwiches". That means that ones that are simple enough for any member of staff to make, since obviously it takes a qualified chef to put together anything more taxing than cheese and pickle.

shiftclick said...

Here's how you add a photo or picture to your profile. Glad I could help, and thanks for stopping by! I've added you to my Maximum Reading Pleasure list!

mrcuntt said...

i always find, salads are the safest bet, or potnoodles, polish servants are no good at cooking... after 10,30...

shiftclick said...

Qenny, never mind. I am so losing mine. Surly Girl wanted to know how to add a photo, so I'll just move along ...

/runs

Qenny said...

Frob: don't knock Gillian McKeith. That lady knows her shit. Also, she's Scottish, so she scores extra points from me. Not that I'm at all biased. Oh, no.

mrcuntt: a pot noodle salad. What a marvellous idea. I think that could be a winner! And you have servants whose only job is to polish things? Oh, to have such a life!

Qenny said...

shiftclick: no worries, you were trying to do a nice, helpful thing whilst celebrating success on the new job front, and getting rid of your stalker. You are completely entitled not to be giving your full attention to everything you do.

shiftclick said...

Qenny, you are my new best friend. I have so many. I think it's amazing that the majority of them live in the U.K. I must be a Brit at heart, mmm?

Qenny said...

shiftclick: *mwah!*

Bless ya. Perhaps you were a Brit in a former life.

I loved your "penis enlarging assholes" line, but avoided the temptation of besmirching your comments thingy with an amusing, if boastful, rearranging of those words :-)

shiftclick said...

qenny ... I haven't gone back and reread my comments ... now I see how that line could be taken ... ROFLMAO. I needed that ...

Fuckkit said...

Qenny. I have blogrolled you because you make me blow tea out of my nose in an involuntary action of mirth.

Please be aware that any future sinus infections will be blamed wholey on you and you will be entirely responsible for my entertainment while I'm laid up and in pain.

That is all.

Qenny said...

*salute*

I will do my best as a fuckkit blogrollee to uphold whatever standards I'm meant to uphold.

I'm just glad no cake got involved in your nasal passages, too. That could have been much less comfortable, not to mention more infectogenic. (I know that's not a word, but I was feeling creative.)

Inexplicable DeVice said...

I like 'infectogenic'. It's going to be my word of the day tomorrow. Thanks : )

frobisher said...

Fancy a fuck IDV?

Qenny said...

IDV: I like having a word of the day, but sometimes I get stuck with the same one for ages. Last time that happened, it was with the word "carminative".

frob: get a room!